Monday, October 24, 2011

Gala Basket-Step Two




In this step I've started to put in the underlying washes for the basket and cloth. For the basket I put down a very light wash of new gamboge and for the cloth I put down a thin wash of paynes grey and then when it dried I made it progressively darker in the under folds next to the basket. These were the beginning steps that I used to build on.




I had such anticipation for getting on with more painting but I used my patience to set the stage before the performance. For me I think that having patience goes hand in hand with watercolors. But some people do not have much patience and they can use that trait to develop their own style or they can learn to become more patient with their painting process.




When I teach watercolors I can only teach from my own experiences. Of course I do read alot and watch DVD's and look at others work. But I always try to encourage my students to be willing to try new ways of doing things and accept that they have and/or are developing their own style. I make rules and then tell my students to go ahead and break them. This allows them the freedom to see how things work or don't work for them.




I'll be back soon with step three of the Gala Basket!

No comments:

Post a Comment